Tuesday, August 12, 2003

Fairly unbalanced

Al Franken is taking Fox's howlingly frivolous lawsuit in stride:
"I normally prefer not to be out of the country on vacation when I'm sued. However, from everything I know about law regarding satire, I'm not worried," Franken, who has not filed a response in court, said in a statement released Tuesday. He is vacationing in Italy.

...

In its court papers, Fox described the author and liberal commentator as "neither a journalist nor a television news personality. He is not a well-respected voice in American politics; rather, he appears to be shrill and unstable. His views lack any serious depth or insight."

Fox alleged that Franken was "either intoxicated or deranged" when he attacked the network and conservative host Bill O'Reilly at an April press correspondents dinner. The lawsuit also says that Franken has been described as "increasingly unfunny."

"As far as the personal attacks go," Franken responded, "when I read 'intoxicated or deranged' and 'shrill and unstable' in their complaint, I thought for a moment I was a Fox commentator.

"And by the way, a few months ago, I trademarked the word 'funny.' So when Fox calls me 'unfunny,' they're violating my trademark. I am seriously considering a countersuit."

Oh, I'm sure Al Franken is increasingly unfunny to the liars, half-wits and propagandists at Fox. I think half the world saw that look on Bill O'Reilly's face after Franken was done humiliating him at the press luncheon. Nor will we soon forget his witty rejoinder: "Shut up!!!!"

No comments: