Friday, July 04, 2003

Just a reminder

Brett Kavanaugh's recent nomination to the D.C. Circuit Court of Appeals -- one of the most powerful of all the federal courts -- brings to mind this passage from David Brock's Blinded by the Right [p. 280], in which Brock discusses his gathering pariahhood for not having smeared Hillary Clinton:
I reluctantly accepted Laura Ingraham's invitation to watch Bill Clinton's State of the Union address in Jaunary 1997 with her and her friends at her town house in Woodley Park. As I arrived at the hose, which was decked out in an oversized southwestern motif more appropriate for a bachelor's mountain hideaway, the network cameras were coming on. When I saw one of Ken Starr's deputies, Brett Kavanaugh, who was sitting across from me, mouth the word "bitch" when the camera panned to Hillary, I excused myself and sat in the darkened pine-scented dining room alone, smoking. I started again soon after Seduction was published because I didn't know what else to do.

I always thought this was an instructive anecdote because it gave a great deal of insight into the mindset of Starr's team of prosecutors and their conduct.

It also tells us, I think, a great deal about the kind of people President Bush is nominating for the most powerful judicial seats in the country.

No comments: