Tuesday, March 25, 2003

Blog sighting

Welcome to the blogosphere, my old friend John McKay, whose blog is named archie. It's about "politics, fringe watching, and other stuff."

You may recall John's name from the top-notch letters he's sent previously (here and here). And he opens with a terrific post:
I hope we all had a chance to look around last Wednesday and etch the world, as it existed then, into our collective memory. There is a very good chance that Wednesday was the last day of the world we grew up in. For the last week or so I have had a quote banging around in my head. As the British Parliment votes to go to war in 1914, the Foreign Secretary, Sir Edward Grey, is supposed to have commented to a friend, "The lamps are going out all over Europe, we shall not see them lit again in our lifetime." I know how he felt.

No comments: